Lisa Turner waiting for launch

Relaxing while wwaiting for the launch

Harvesting the wheat

The task setter and the met man

The pie cart

A farmyard in Klix

Riding in the streets of Klix

Sunset over the campground

Today at briefing, they set an Assigned Area Task. This seemed to cause some confusion among the locals judging by the number of questions that arose.

The minimum task distance was 201 km for Standard Class but the minimum time was only 1.5 hours. This may be deliberate to make sure no gliders could come home to early and be penalised since many are learning about these tasks. Also they don't like these tasks so much here because it can be harder to pick where to go with the poorer visibility so there is too much of a luck factor.

We needed to wait for conditions to get going across the task area so despite our girls being first on the grid today, there was plenty of time to sit on the nice green grass enjoying the sunshine.

While flying, Steve and I borrowed some bikes and went for a ride through some of the nearby towns. They are only a couple of km between all the towns. Helge commented once that no matter where you outland, you are never more than 5km away from a pub and a beer.

Team flying went well today, and the girls came across the finish line in formation. The day was tough for Standard Class because there was a shower near the first turn area and a 40km glide in and out of the sector with no lift. This meant backtracking to get the height for this glide.

Overall the speed for the class was low and we finished 10th and 11th (traces: Lisa Trotter, Lisa Turner).

After flying there was a cocktail party (mid-contest party). They had a real cocktail barman – complete with sign, and a menu of alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails. Very impressively presented with pineapple and glace cherries on a stick. Since we couldn't read the menu but the barman (who was great looking!) could speak English, we left it to him to make us something.

The fellow I mentioned in an earlier report set up with the guitar and microphone and sang all sorts of popular and folk songs. Swaantje had the other microphone and sang some of the songs. She was really good. Apparently they sing together at many of these party nights. What a shame I didn't take the camera to the party.

They finished off with Eric Clapton's "If I saw you in heaven", and had distributed lighters to everyone to hold during the song. It was a really great night.

Back