26th July 2004

The sky when we first got on the grid

The sky soon after

Music on the grid

Tuesday 27/7/04

Contest Day 1.

It looked great before briefing. And even better after. You can see the beautiful cu in the photo. We all rigged, ballasted, gridded ... and waited...

Two rainbands were coming and the sky on track is looking grey and uninviting.

They deferred launch to 1:30, then 2:30 then 3:30 then cancelled the day. We only got a bit wet.

There were lots of gliders in the three classes on the grid, arranged seven gliders across. 15m class is first, then standard, then club class. Its amazing to see so many gliders at a contest, let alone the fact they are all women. I need to check numbers but I think there are 50-60 gliders here.

I've never been on a grid where someone played the guitar and sang before -- in English too! (actually most of the songs on the radio are the same as at home and in English, only the announcer between songs is German). He was quite good and quickly attracted a large crowd.

In the evening, the Australian Team accompanied the German team (including the contest director) to the local pub. We had a lovely time. I felt it only fair to try some Deer steaks since that is what lives in the local forests. After all, visitors to Australia eat kangaroo!

Back