Practice day 1: 28 July 2005

Today we had a safety briefing in addition to the normal briefing. A task was set but with thunderstorms expected in the afternoon, they kept it short.

The wind changed direction so we needed to move the grid to the opposite end of the airfield and wait for the day to trigger.

This happened later than expected, and the DG1000 sniffer got quite low several times.

Eventually the launch started but due to the cross wind (the wind had swung again), competitors were advised to dump their ballast and turn 45 degrees for a tow diagonally across the runway to reduce the crosswind.

It was fairly hot -- 36 degrees, and quite humid. I was asked if it got that hot in Australia -- I replied hotter, but qualified it with dryer so the heat is easier to take (at least this is the case in SA).

While waiting for the delayed launch, Peter Trotter and I went back to fetch some additional cool drinks.

The conditions never lived up to what was hoped for the day and most competitors, including our two girls, landed after a short flight.

We finished the evening with dinner at the local pub, nicknamed by us the "Roadkill Pub" because you can get deer and duck and wild pig. It was quite hot since there is no air-conditioning in any of the buildings around here. It's going to be a hot night in the campervan tonight. Hopefully without too many attacks by the local mozzies.

Tomorrow is forecast to be 38 degrees. It will be interesting to see how the Europeans handle the heat.

Back